Beads and Therapy

Inbetween closing my Herbary and starting Moss Designs I really did nothing creatively. I thought I could exist without any of it. So, for a couple years I did nothing but, enjoy my home life with children and family.
I have always done it all through my life(creatively, that is, lol) but, still missed that something that brought me to that 'ahhhhhhhh' moment. I am sure you know what I mean, that moment when it all clicks and makes sense with your artwork, career or life choice.
I loved color, texture and movement in all that I did, for I am a very visual person. If you read my profile, you know about my family influences with my art/design work also. The fusion began in my work. I combined the organics from my gardens with color choices and even materials used in my pieces and it all started to take shape. When my Grandmother passed I gathered all her materials, buttons, threads, etc. for my stash and of course being the collector that I am had compiled tons of STUFF over the years of household sales, Goodwill and antiquing.
I became obsessed with beads! I had to learn everything I could about them. Here is an excerpt from one of my write ups:
All roads have lead to my love of beads and freeform bead embroidery and beaded art. What was started as a desire to create body ornaments has turned into a deep search and study of all facets of beads. I find myself wanting to know its origin, culture, and type as I go about my design. These little bits of history draw you in and ask to be made into something to please the eye and quiet the spirit. As I start to build a piece, my mind contemplates where I will eventually end up, will I stay with my outline or surprise myself yet again with a fragment of my inner most self? What may start as one thought may turn into a journey of self-discovery and beaded art is a wonderful way to express this.
Working in figural form is a very fulfilling process, watching the identities take shape through the sculpting, beading and embellishing.
My Innerself doll was my very first figure. I don't take her to my shows anymore for she is so misunderstood. Poor soul! All bead doll artists can attest to that someone coming and asking "so, you make voodoo dolls?" I feel like I could just scream. I of course explain that I am Christian and go through the whole art concept with all the flowery words for them.
She lives in my china cabinet and is quite happy now, thank you very much...lol

Comments