SDAJ- Wilds Cooperative of PA Spotlight for October!

Being a creative maker member, of the Wilds Cooperative of PA, provides many networking opportunities in and out of the membership.  This month SDAJ is the WCO member spotlight!  This spotlight series is a great way to learn more about the businesses and artisans/artists that make up the 12.5 county region known as the PA Wilds.  

This set of photos and article is from the Creative Makers project that started in 2016.  The new studio was just finished and my skill level was not where it is today but, this is a great time capsule that shows how I have grown as an artisan and also shows how many tools one can acquire in 5 years, ha. 


Welcome to the article and thank-you WCO!


Stephanie Distler Artisan Jewelry: Turning hammered metal into wearable art

Elk County | Elk Country landscape of the PA Wilds

By Katie Weidenboerner-Deppen

“I love the smell of metal and what it’s capable of.”

Stephanie Distler, of Johnsonburg, started her artistic journey when she was seven years old. Her love of art transformed and grew as she did before settling to focus on jewelry making.

“Right now, I’m where I want to be,” Stephanie said as she hammered metal in her studio, which is attached to her home and was made for her by her husband, Herb. “When I lose myself I feel like I find myself in my studio space.”

A self-taught artist, Distler turns to nature and the PA Wilds for inspiration. Using silver, copper and brass in wire or sheet form, she works with an eclectic assortment of tools to translate that inspiration into her vision.

“There’s so much nature in my work because it’s such a natural process.”

A fierce advocate of artisans and the Wilds, Stephanie says the Wilds Cooperative has been important to her as a maker, saying, “You don’t realize how many people are out there doing their art until you do see it. I see it because of my connection to the PA Wilds. It’s this nice sense of community. And you don’t feel like you’re alone.”

Learn more about Stephanie Distler Artisan Jewelry or leave a review/recommendation on her Wilds Cooperative of PA profile!

TIMELY TIP

Stephanie Distler Artisan Jewelry is one of the 10 Wilds Cooperative of PA members who helped launch the PA Wilds Marketplace this past spring. Check out her seller storefront here!



take care, be safe-

Stephanie 🤍


Comments