Interview with Kathleen Schnell of Cottage Glassworks


"Art is such a release for me. Even if I am not actually creating art I am usually thinking about art.  I see it everywhere. I always have that refuge."

The artist discusses inspiration, upcoming shows and her love of a special technique.

Tell us a little about yourself. Where are you from and how does that affect your work?

I grew up in New Hampshire, I feel a very artisan area. My grandmother carved, hooked wool pieces & wove on a loom. My Mom was a Home Economics teacher, she does quilting and did tole painting, braiding & stencil work. My Dad was a fabricator and did a lot of woodworking, he could come up with a solution to most any difficulty- I am a fabricator as well. We were raised to save and reuse- I love this lifestyle. Growing up with these examples I fell in love with Glass, I also like woodworking, braiding and hooking. I hope to do more quilting. Growing up in New England I feel it was our way of life and I fully enjoy creating with my hands.

When did you know that you wanted to be an artist____________ (your aha moment)?

I fell in love with the colors in stained glass as a young adult, and knew I needed to learn the art.



What is your favorite part of the creative process? Tools? Materials? Technique?

I repeat this often (because not everyone knows what it is or understands it) Vitrograph inspires me so very much! 
Vitrograph (stringers a similar term) – I place compatible glass in a terracotta pot; this is generally varying shades of one color of glass, mixed with approximately 1/3rd of clear glass. The “pot’ is placed in an elevated vitrograph-kiln centering the hole in the pot over the hole in in the bottom of the kiln. The kiln is heated to 1700° over a period of 4 hours, once it reaches the target temperature glass begins to flow downward out of the kiln. With Kevlar gloves, extra large tweezers and scissors to cut the glass, I begin pulling, shaping and twisting the red-hot glass, cutting it at a manageable lengths and landing it onto a metal surface. As various shades of colored glass go into the pot and the glass flows from the center of the pot out, each section of glass that is pulled is unique. I form and shape the hot glass as it flows out, sometimes I grab the “tail” and just twist and twist it in a circle; “Twisties” look beautiful when used in a FG piece as they melt, their twisting design becomes very striking. Vitrograph is so uniquely formed it takes on amazing shapes like vines, leaves, birds & "signatures"…..only limited by your imagination. I can also pull the glass straight in various thicknesses – this is more often referred to as a stringer. I can purchase Straight Stringers where I buy my sheet glass, my shaped vitrograph is hand-made.

What type of music or podcasts do you play while working?

I love Christian music and I am usually playing and singing to it as I create. I need to have sound.



Does art help you in other areas of your life?

Art is such a release for me. Even if I am not actually creating art I am usually thinking about art.  I see it everywhere. I always have that refuge.



How has your style changed over time?

I have consciously thought about the art I have made over the years and I can only say it is more refined and I have my nature and vine designs that I seem to fall back on.



What are you looking forward to currently? Perhaps you are looking forward to an online or in person class, being an artist full time, new show, collection, travel, vacation?

I have been confirmed for The State PA Laurel Festival and I am waiting to hear from Art in the Wilds. Usually I only participate in Art in the Wilds, but I wanted to give Laurel Festival a try as it is in our home town.  The challenge will be that they are both 2-day shows and only 1 week apart.  I pray it goes well and that I can have enough glass art for both shows.....I don't want to run out.



What has become your signature style as a glass artist?

I would say with my love of nature, "vines and flowers" and 3-D nature pieces have become my most created artworks.



How do you promote your business? i.e. newsletters, business cards, shows, video, classes, memberships, online groups, etc.

I have a website: www.cottageglassworks.com, locally my artwork can be seen and purchased in my studio, Potter-Tioga visitors center, and At Rockwell's feed store - all located in Wellsboro, PA. I am involved locally with the Wellsboro Art Club, and have membership in RT 6 Alliance & Wilds Cooperative of PA. In 2022 I am participating in the State PA Laurel Festival, here in Wellsboro, and I am hoping to hear back soon from the Art in the Wilds jury process for acceptance in their 2022 art show. I have been featured in Mountain Home magazine and numerous online postings. I place rack-cards at various locations, share business cards, belong to numerous online groups and host classes.





Favorite social media or new experiments in social media?

Facebook and Instagram are my go to social media sites.

Tell us the story behind a collection or a piece?

"Blue Compilation" (attached below) is a unique piece. A stainless steel ring is placed on the kiln shelf lined with ceramic fiber and thinfire paper. My design starts with a clear base piece of glass, a strip-on-edge design is begun by cutting thin strips of glass and placing them "on edge" within the ss ring to create the bones. Vitrograph, Murrini, Dichroic glass, additional colorful glass strips and Pattern-Bars of various shapes are added to the ring artistically to create my design. It is put together within the kiln and fired to 1470*; the firing takes approx. 11 hours. Once fired it is worked by hand to assure a soft edge and it is ready to display on a coffee table or stand to show its beauty.



What do you have coming up i.e. shows, publications, travel, rebranding?

State PA Laurel Festival: Jun 17 & 18 in Wellsboro. If accepted Art in the Wilds: June 25 & 26 in Kane, PA.


Take a look at an article, a few years back, where she was the featured pro-artist Member Spotlight on the Wilds Cooperative of PA Member website!  

Thank-you Kathleen for taking the time for this interview!  I cannot wait to adventure to all of the shops that carry your fabulous work and shows that you will be participating in.  At some point I need to come and visit your gorgeous studio 

and her PA Wilds Marketplace shop:          https://shopthepawilds.com/cottageglassworks/






Comments