interview with Lynn Kibbe of Lynn Kibbe Fine Art

 

The Gmeiner Art & Cultural Center "From Scratch, My Thoughts, Through Time" an exhibit of recent scratchboard art by Lynn Kibbe

"Mostly I feel it enables me to see the world differently and realize that God has created art that no one can ever simulate.  It makes me think of what went into those creations and is mind-boggling.  It makes me continually strive to be a better person and a better artist."

  1. Tell us a little about yourself. Where are you from?

I am from Trout Run PA which is very small and very rural.  I grew up in Salladsburg and Cogan Station.  When I married, I lived in Cogan Station until joining the Air Force.  When returning home, we bought a home from my husband’s family where he grew up, which was in Trout Run where we now live.

  1. Where in the PA Wilds do you draw inspiration from?

In our home area mostly.  I am lucky enough to see plenty of PA wildlife right around where we live.  Again, that is Trout Run PA.

  1. When did you know that you wanted to be a Scratchboard fine artist____________ (your aha moment)?

When I saw some scratchboards online and fell in love with the detail and of course a lot of the subject matter was wildlife and domestic animals, which was my true love.  I hadn’t been able to depict animals in watercolor or oil as realistically as I was able to do in scratchboard (though others could).

  1. What is your favorite part of the process? Tools? Materials? Techniques? Learning?

My favorite part of the process is creating the eyes which I typically (but not always) do first.  I use a scalpel knife similar to an Xacto knife for most of the work.  I also use on occasion, a needle, steel wool, tattoo needles, or anything else that might give me a different texture.  The materials I use are professional grade Scratchbord made by Ampersand specifically for professional results.  It is a hardwood panel covered with clay then covered with India ink.  These layers are minute so you have to gently and lightly scratch away layers to create the image.  Removing too much too soon will not allow for getting many tonal values.  There are many different techniques, many of which can be seen in online tutorials.  I feel I am constantly learning how to improve upon what I already know.


  1. Tell us about another interest of yours such as collection or hobby?

My main hobby (and collection) involves model horses.  Having moved around so much while in the military it was not feasible to have real horses, so I found model horse collecting satisfied my love of horses.  Being an artist, I found Peter Stone horses to be my model horse company of choice due to the fantastic factory paint jobs which were so realistic on the models they produced and the fact they were produced by hand here in the US.

one of my models in a "photo" show performance entry where you try to make the background look as natural as possible (Arabian costume class).  These are judged and winners announced.
"live-show" entries.  This is where you take your models to a show and enter them in a class by putting them on the table for them to be judged in person.  Halter classes have no tack and are just the model.  Judges look for blemishes, and that the horse represents the breed you entered it to be (ie. Arabian, Appaloosa, etc).  Performance classes must have in-scale tack, proper props for what the model is representing it would be doing in real life horse show class (barrel racing, etc).  They win a ribbon and a Nationals card that can be used in an upper level show just like real horses.

 models in a "halter" class (which means no halter, but not doing performance-just showing the model).  Notice the background is a photo and the foreground is made to look like in-scale beach.  These are judged and winners announced.

  1. What type of music or podcasts inspires or keeps you motivated?

I like Pop music and when the TV isn’t on while creating, I will have music playing.

  1. How does your art help you in other areas of your life?

Mostly I feel it enables me to see the world differently and realize that God has created art that no one can ever simulate.  It makes me think of what went into those creations and is mind-boggling.  It makes me continually strive to be a better person and a better artist.

  1. How have you changed over time in reference to your subject matter or palette?  

When I worked in oil, I tended to create landscapes mostly; later I added watercolor and although I felt I could do more nature inspired closeup work, I was never really happy with them.  I wanted more detail.  Being self-taught, I was still learning about “how” to get that detail when I found scratchboard online.  I was always in love with the deep color I could get with oil, and although I work with a lot of black/white now using scratchboard, sometimes, I can’t help but do a colored piece.

  1. Can you give us a look into your daily life?

Prior to getting a puppy, art was what I did daily.  I had to force myself to put down the knife to do work around the house.  Now, I don’t nearly spend the time I did before on artwork as the puppy is pretty time-consuming, but I have found that I can sit down in the evening and work on artwork now that she is a bit older.



What are you looking forward to currently? Perhaps you are looking forward to an online or in person class, new paint, tools, show, collection, travel, vacation?

I am looking forward to creating more artistically expressive work.  On a personal level, I’m looking forward to getting to spend more time with my husband perhaps traveling or vacationing when we are able.

  1. Who is your favorite artist, dead or alive?

There are several scratchboard artists I adore.  Their work is spectacular; I’ve known them somewhat personally since starting in scratchboard and can call them friends.  Each are free with information and each are master scratchboard artists.  I’ve learned so much from their seminars/workshops or advice throughout my career.  They are Lorna Hannett, Lori Dunn, Diana Lee (RIP), Rod Leisure, Cathy Sheeter, Amy Stauffer, Ginger Gehres, and Scott Krohn.  

  1. How do you promote your business?  i.e. newsletters, business cards, shows, video, classes, memberships, online groups, etc.

I have found that online groups (I use facebook) is very helpful in promoting my business.  I also have my own website that I make sure is kept current.  I do use occasional newsletters, and of course have business cards.  I also find that in-person shows are the best resource.  I have done workshops, demonstrations and classes.  I feel that membership in your particular art genre organization is essential for a professional.

  1. Favorite social media or new experiments in social media?  

I experimented using Instagram and didn’t care that I had to upload from my phone when I keep everything on my desktop, so quit using that.  Facebook is my social media of choice.  

  1. Tell us the story behind one of your pieces?

“Mother’s Patience” is artwork consisting of a mother wolf and her pup.  I decided to cut the reference photo in half and make a diptych.  The top half was the mother wolf looking down at her cub from a rock shelf.  The bottom half was the pup looking to his mother for help in getting up to where she was.  Separately, I felt each could hold their own and told their own story, but together as a diptych, they would resonate with the viewer.

  1. If you could compare yourself with any animal, which would it be and why?

A horse.  They are kind unless badly treated.  They are strong, yet gentle.  I grew up with horses and have always felt I had a special connection to them.

  1. What do you have coming up i.e. shows, publications, travel, rebranding?

I have actually cut down the amount of shows per year due to now having a puppy to raise.  Since vendors are seldom allowed to have animals at their booth, I am only doing the one-day shows, with the exception of Eagles Mere, but that one is close enough, we could make it work.  So my show schedule is as follows:  Ways Garden-June 12; Eagles Mere-August 13-14; Rose Valley Lake Fest-October 8-9 (pending invite); Autumn Arts Market Pennsdale Trinity Church-October 23, and Muncy Historical at First United Methodist Church (pending invite)-November 11-12. 

Thank-you Lynn for taking the time for this interview! I feel that I have learned so much about you and your art.  You are amazing!  I had a chance to watch your process, at an art show, and felt so very blessed to have had that opportunity.  

All currently available artwork and show/exhibit schedule can be seen on Lynn's website Lynn Kibbe Fine Art.



www.stephaniedistler.com


Comments