Gratitude Sunday-- Creatives

I am thankful to have creative people in my life from family to friends we all uplift and support one another. We are a fragile lot.  Recently my dad and I visited Eric of Von Dettum & Company , St, Marys, Pa.  

a photo taken from his FB page where he writes and sells his historically inspired leather goods

While in his studio I took many photos.  I love this one of my dad <3

Eric and my dad having many conversations about the Civil War and such.  Someday I will have a stitching horse, lol.

His brother Andrew owns the building where Eric lives now and has his studio.  This photo and the one below are of the 2nd floor of this glorious old historic structure, The Arcade Hotel, built early 1900.

This hallway is glorious.  That beautifully ornate metalwork also, can be found on the first floor in Andrew's business, Tablespoon's Cafe & Deli.  

smalls from Von Dettum & Co. 

Eric creating some leather straps that I will use for upcoming bracelets

It was the perfect day.  Visiting cousins, lunch and visiting with a new creative friend.  



I have often, over the years, compared my stamp work on copper to leatherwork.
My grandmother's brother was a leather artisan. Collecting leather tools through the years, I always thought that I would add leather and leather tooling to artisan jewelry designs at some point. So, here is some practice work in scrap veg tan and my first attempts with tooling, freestyle, no pattern/tracing.

The sunflower was tooled in after playing with the swivel knife underneath because I started cutting leaves and just kept going with tooling a sunflower. 
These were done in-between working on non profit work for the Johnsonburg Community Trust.
















Comments