MY INTERVIEW

Brooke, at http://phoenixknitter.blogspot.com/ has posted interview questions for me to answer on my blog. If you are interested in being interviewed by me, here are the rules:

1. Leave me a comment saying 'interview me'.
2. I will respond by asking you five questions here. They will be different questions than the ones below.
3. You will update YOUR blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions

~And here are the five questions Brooke asked me:

1. How does living in a small town make you different than the average American? I feel that living in a small town develops, perhaps, a more imaginative sense towards art. I do not have the cultural stimuli that city dwellers have in their day to day life and this gives me at times, a unique/naive spin when creating. This lack of *city life* drives me to over create my own cultural nook with my home in books, hung art, music and the internet. My gift then to my daughters is the same desire and drive for finding knowledge. They amaze me everyday with their own desire to learn and even teach.

2. If you could be a character in an Anne Rice book, which book would you choose and why? Would you be a vampire if you could? definitely the book Blood and Gold about the vampire Marius. Marius was one of the immortals who even though he had lived over 1000 years still had a desire for life and learning. It is nice to escape in that world but, I would not care to become one of the *undead*, :)

3. I had a garden in California that was so amazing I often stood in wonder at the process of it all. Do gardens have a spiritual aspect to them? What gives them their life?
Gardens have such energy to them and provide the gardener an immense sense of inner peace in the maintaining and care. We gardeners have our own little circle of life with seed starting, growth, harvest, culinary preparations and ,of course, composting. We give the gardens a bit of our lives and in turn they give us theirs. Such a wonderful process.....

4. What is your favorite thing about art festivals? What is the strangest thing you have ever seen sold at one?
I love the camaraderie between artisans, positive feedback from clients and visiting new towns/cities. Being at shows gives me time to work on my artdolls and the like with out interruption and most of the time get inspired from my surroundings and passersby.
Hmmmm....... I am not sure about the strangest thing. It is all good, I cannot say that I have ever seen anything that was that bazaar or strange. I was invited to attend a nudist artshow one time...Now that would have been strange for I would have had beads in some very awkward nooks and crannys.

5. What is the difference between crafty and artistic?
This depends on who you ask for you can be artistic about so many things. Craftspeople/artists are all in the business of creating something which is aesthetically pleasing. However, craftspeople or artisans mainly create objects that serve some practical/utilitarian purpose as well as being decorative, while traditional art is for the most part merely created for the purpose of viewing. Although so many utilitarian pieces are just as artfully done and should be considered art. This falls in the range of fanciful jewelry, quilting, wirework, pottery, weaving, knitting, etc. Are now coming into the fine art circles too.
I have such a hard time in the jurying process on artshow applications deciding what I am, am I mixed media, jewelry, fiber and so on. There are so many jewelry artists that do not get into artshows because, there are so many trying. The jurors try to keep their acceptance at a minimum. I am just as much fiberart/fine art as jewelry but, if I don't put jewelry I may not be able to sell jewelry. Such a pain...

Thank-you Brooke, that was fun

Comments