Holidays- Christmas 2013

kitchen tree sitting on the primitive pie safe with a collection or ornaments from the Stump's along with my girl's favorites collected along the way such as Sugar Bear, Misfit Toys from Rudolph, Sebastian the crab and decorations made from their little hands.
I hear so many folks sad about the lack of people going out and visiting or treeing over the Holidays and I agree there are less than when our generation was younger.  My thoughts are of course that families have grown away from these traditions of popping in to see what you all have been up to over the year, the Christmas spoils, a nibble and a quick drink.  Quality, I feel, is far better than quantity when it comes to any given holiday.  Families are smaller as well as the time we actually have available to go out between Christmas and New Years is much less.  
large glass lidded dish holding a mix of antique and vintage ornaments on the dining table most from my Gramma Stump
Not having brothers and sisters with their offspring or aunts and uncles with their children continues to make for smaller and smaller gatherings.  There was only my brother and I, my Father did not have any siblings and my cousins are so spread out that it has become harder and harder to have those gatherings we all recall from childhood.  I feel that is what we miss... and our sense of nostalgia kicks in.  I find myself listening to the albums my Grandparents would play during this time such as Gene Autry, Burl Ives, Johnny Cash, Elvis or the gambit of compilations from said stars and other popular singers of that genre/era more at this time.

 Our traditions or the way I have recalled said traditions kicks in high to share with my daughters and new traditions are started, adding to the mix.  We would all gather at my Mom's parents, down the street, for presents, dinner and merriment.  When I say ALL I mean all, know matter who was divorced, their ex spouses still came for it was important to gather for US the children.  I don't know when everyone got all self important and started segregating, it is just a crazy thing.  The families are not growing, we need each other.
oak shelves on the way from the kitchen to the living room is where Christmas cards are displayed among tea pots and fondue pots... on the above shelf not shown
Those yearly Christmas cards are treasured, for who has time with those received much loved.

simple newel post and railing arrangement with my eldest daughter's first shoes, a green tea towel and ribbon 

 This wonderful tree was owned and loved by a family in Mount Jewett. A good friend had an antique shop, over 15 or so years back, called Anderson's Sweet Memories, which is where this was purchased. I think it was actually her husband's Father's family tree. We love it! I asked the youngest which tree this year and this was her pick. They took such good care even building a couple stands to store the branches, the Noma spinning light was part of the original set too.

 play of light from the aluminum tree on living room ceiling
a favorite gift this Christmas, a vintage camper light, given during our annual gathering and gift exchange Christmas Eve here at the house from my fab cousin, love it, xoxo
What is your favorite Holiday tradition?  Anytime I am with family is MY favorite, little things mean a lot...again quality not quantity is the BEST.

Comments