collections- vintage and antique carbon steel knives

We all collect something, some more than others.  Here is a crazy looking carbon steel knife collection that was started when we first were married back in 1986 with the Old Hickory set in the middle of the pic. What can I say, I LOVE TOOLS!!!
the Old Hickory set is missing the paring and tomato knife (in the camper until Spring) with the rest from my Grandparents collection after they passed 
The history of the Ontario Knife Company is HERE evidently it is shrouded in mystery.  Everyone loves a good mystery :)  I do use them often keeping them sharp, handles oiled when needed and at the ready for the next big meal adventure. Carbon steel does react when slicing through anything acidic for it reacts with the metal  and also imparts a taste onto food like when dicing or slicing onions and tomatoes. Stainless remedies this if it is an issue for you.
I also joined a facebook group for Vintage Carbon Steel knives HERE posting this photo.

The bottom knife is really interesting to me, being called a Cimeter sporting a 12" blade.   Cimeter knives are remarkable for butchering large pieces of meat. It also works great for slicing meats, roasts, roast turkey, ham, and fish into thin and even slices. The number one choice of offshore fishermen.

I use a typical 3 stage electric knife sharpener, a sharpening steel in between and sharpening oil stone for the smaller knives/pocket knives.

in the studio
I finally ordered a bird's beak paring knife for that perfect peeling action on anything round.  German steel is very nice..I am quite impressed.  A beautiful Japanese knife is next, not sure which company...

What is your favorite knife?


Comments