connecting through our passion, tools

When young my brother and I spent a lot of our childhood in Dad's woodworking shop on Rose Street. While he was crafting crazy cool pieces from his collection of hand tools (the Roy Underhill way) we played at woodworking.  We did this by planing on scrap lumber.  The sensation of that beautifully restored hand-tool, gliding through our hand picked collection of scraps, felt akin to a knife through cheese.  This action of planing while listening to Creedence Clearwater Revival developed our love of working with our hands, me eventually falling in love with the metal arts while my younger brother Stephan a career as a chef and musician.

a toolbox in his current workshop

a large treasured toolbox from his Father

here is a new addition on the shaving horse which holds smalls, such as this piece of treenware

love this large chisel resting on the shaving horse 

LOOK at those handles and customized hatchet.  The outer tools were my focus and then he placed the spoke shave  between the two.  Perfect.
 The above photos were taken during this past Christmas holiday.  The shop is located now in the basement of his farmhouse where a root cellar, laundry area and some lighted indoor shelves (holding vegetable and decorative plants for the upcoming gardening season} all share space. 

My Dad gifted me this year the beautiful chubby hammer above on the stump bench, a gorgeous French cobbler's hammer positioned on the anvil and a little hammer were both from a few year's back.  Each of them married beautifully to lovely hewn wooden handles.  Look at the brass ferrule on my most recent present back on the stump bench.

Wedges added to hold the heads in place


Do you hear the angels singing, haha.  Sunshine streaming in the studio, on the stump, this bright freezing January afternoon. 

"Brass makes it richer",  states the 'artist' :)

My Dad, his lovely wife Jeanette and her oldest grandchild, William after a delicious meal of Clam Chowder, fresh baked rolls and baked Camembert cheese in phyllo. It was a lovely time with family.

Christmas Day 2017, my Father and I in his kitchen. 
I find myself taking photos of the metal's studio more than making jewelry at times  Creating is the important part, from maker spaces showing where it all takes place, to the tangible work hammered out.  
Where ever your studio is I am sure your heart is permanently placed,  in that glorious space, where your soul sings along with the angels.

www.stephaniedistler.com

Comments