Interview with Larissa Distler

 

"In the last couple of years, I have really scaled back my business. I had started doing a lot of custom and bulk orders that were sucking the fun out of it. I also had the realization that I didn't need to be hustling all the time, that I could just enjoy creating things at my own pace."


The artist discusses social media, upcoming shows and making for the sake of  the process.

Tell us a little about yourself?

My name is Larissa Distler and I'm the owner of Ellipsis Arts & Crafts. I grew up in the Pennsylvania Wilds Region. I now live in the Driftless Region of Illinois. The products I'm creating at any given time change with my mood. Currently I'm the most focused on knitting, crocheting, felting, and pattern design.


When did you know that you wanted to be an artisan ____________ (your aha moment)?

I grew up around people who were always creating so I didn't have an "aha moment." It was just something everyone was doing, so I did it too. Secondarily, I've always felt the impulse to monetize. I've had a side hustle since I was about seven years old.

What piece said this is my signature style to YOU?

I think it was the first time I made a Nuno scarf that clicked for me as my signature style. A lot of fiber art has to be very precise, but I like to get my hands into art forms that are more freeform. I also like how tactile it is with no tool in between my hands and medium. That said I also love knitting, crocheting, and needle felting which all require tools, but I like to wing it without a pattern.

Your favorite part of the creative process?

My favorite part of the creative process is when I'm partially through a project and I think it's not going to turn out, then it defies my expectations.

What type of music or podcasts do you play while creating?

I listen to a variety of music, podcasts, and audiobooks while working on a project. It's different all the time, but it's usually shuffle on Pandora, Harry and the Potters, the Fake Doctors, Real Friends podcast, or a mixed bag of audiobooks depending on what I'm reading for work at the Galena Public Library.

What most inspires YOU?

In the last couple of years, I have really scaled back my business. I had started doing a lot of custom and bulk orders that were sucking the fun out of it. I also had the realization that I didn't need to be hustling all the time, that I could just enjoy creating things at my own pace. If anyone wants to buy any of my pieces, that's great, but if not that's ok too. I have a day job that pays the bills. At this point, I'm just enjoying myself and that's enough.

Favorite social media or new experiments in social media?

I like Instagram the best. It's purely visual and not as overwhelming as other social medias. I've been making Reels and that's been fun, but I don't pressure myself to publish a certain amount of content. That might be important for the full time artisan, but not for me. https://www.instagram.com/ellipsisartscrafts/

What do you have coming up i.e. shows, publications, travel, rebranding?

In April I'll be a part of the Galena Center for the Arts virtual exhibit, "Invitation to Wonder."

Thank-you Larissa!
Here is a small collection of some of her works and passions:

Felted framed piece titled, "Light Echo" 


Freeform Nuno scarf



hand felted slippers drying on a form


She also creates Amigurumi. Here is a dapper Harry Potter :)

Truffles that she sells on Jo Daviess Local Foods, among other artisan products

and... we will finish with Tamagoyaki with brown sushi rice and miso soup that she made February, 2021



Comments